Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rhode Island Adventure

If you know me, you know that traveling is one of my favorite past times. When I got the opportunity to play in Rhode Island with new family/friends, I was in! My travel experience going there wasnt as bad as coming back. I did get delayed about two hours in Detroit, but they have a surprisingly nice airport with a delicious Wendy's. So all was good. Liz, her sister and their friend Megan picked me up at the Providence airport, and we made our way to catch the Ferry to Block Island. Some background: Block Island is about 5 miles offshore from Rhode island. Liz and her family vacationed their growing up.
I was immediately in love with the place. One because it reminded me so much of Ireland, and two because it was an enclave of calm and relaxation.






We stayed at the most quaint Inn ive ever seen. It was a mix of a bed and breakfast with a hint of summer camp.

It also looked a little like the setting for a horror movie, but luckily it isnt haunted (that i know of). We had dinner the first night at a bar/restaurant called Oar. Clearly these people like their sailing:


After a day of traveling, i called it a night after dinner, but the rest of the girls hit the "town" mudslides in tow. The next morning we got up and the the Inn's amazing breakfast on the patio over looking the harbor. We then headed into town for a day of shopping, eating and sunning. I was obsessed with all the amazing buildings in this little city center. It was as though the whole island was stuck in the 1930's. Maybe I'll call it early New England Americana.





We had a blast checking out all the shops along the boardwalk. We even stumbled upon a craft fair, and I LOVE me some craft fairs! Some sweet finds:
 Just a pick of the fair

 So clever. 

One of those mats says "have you hugged a pug today?" love.

Liz, Megan, Taylor and Elise. Hot and tired from shopping, we were ready for some lunch by this point.
We decided that first we needed to get to the beach, park, and then get food. This is the only pick I took at the beach. Remember, this was a bachelorette party....


I fell asleep on the beach and was awakened to the girls screaming at me because a seagull was right behind me attacking munching on my left over onion rings. While I got up to throw away said rings, the bird shit on my blanket. Clearly the gulls could spot a tourist. 
Eventually we headed back to the Inn to get ready for a night on the town. First, it was cocktail hour. Fresh Rhode Island water for me, mudslides for everyone else. 

Liz in her bachelorette regalia. 
After dinner we headed out. 
I think Taylor liked this straw a bit too much...

an attempt at a group shot. This was taken by a really drunk guy from the bar.

Elise and Liz.
Of course we found a bachelor party at the bar

The lead singer of this band looked JUST liked Ross L. You BSC ladies know who im talking about. It was uncanny. 
Frat party flashback. I did not participate in this mayhem, but it sure looked fun.

That's where my pics stop for the night. I headed home ahead of the group, exhausted from the day. When we got up, we had another delicious breakfast and headed out to catch the ferry. Unlike the rest of our trip, today's weather was dreary and wet. We had to take refuge in some locker room with all our luggage.
Luckily you cant see my dress tied in a knot at the bottom in total 80's style.

We did get off the island and I spent the evening with Liz & Caroline at their parent's house for an wonderful dinner. I could not have asked for a better time, or better tour guides! I cant wait to go back to Block Island someday soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?