Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Twin's Nursery

After months of internet scouring, pinteresting, mind changes, and mixed decisions, the nursery is final completed! I could not be happier with the end result. It is exactly what I wanted; a calm and comforting place for me and the boys. Before I get to the pics, I have to thank the amazing people without which, I would still be standing in an empty room. My sister Kimberly is a design genius. She helped me put to practice what I could barely even visualize. Plus, she's quite skilled with a saw, drill, and hammer. Below is an example. This is a wood pallet Kimberly and Jeff had at their house from a home depot run. I told her I saw on pinterest where someone made bookshelves from one of these. Before I knew it, she was sawing. See below.
About ten minutes later, we realized this was a larger task than we anticipated. Luckily, her husband is just as handy. So, I also have to thank Jeff for his amazing craftsmanship and patience as I have stolen his wife most weekends over the past few months. Thanks to his expertise (and use of tools) we have our bookshelves. 


I also have to thank my mom for all her help in cleaning, organizing, washing baby clothes and of course allowing us to use this great dresser. The lamp I got from the bama antique mall and just added a new shade from target. The mirror is also a flea mall find, but from about six years ago. The frames are from hobby lobby. I love the idea of maps/globes, so I took something that was special to me and incorporated it into the room. 

This map is the one Andrew and I used two years ago for our road trip extravaganza of Ireland. Since I keep everything, I still had it tucked away. Thanks to my sister in law, Emily for doing a great job cutting each coast for us to frame. 
Also, a thank you goes out to my awesome mother in law, Susie for all her help in organizing, cleaning and being willing to help with anything that needs to be done (including dealing with incompetent babies r us people via the chair story below) I am very blessed with amazing family indeed!


The letter wall! One of my favorite parts of the whole room. I have to thank all my friends and family who sent me letters and helped make this fun wall come to life. Each letter has it's own story, and it makes me think of the person who gave it to me. So, it's nostalgic and cool. The storage unit below it is from target, and the empty area to the left of the picture is for the glider, the last piece to missing t the room. After the first one was delivered, it was discovered to have grease on the side, so it was reordered and hopefully will be here before the boys make their grand entrance!

Finally, we have the cribs. The frames above are also from hobby lobby (with mat board cut by Kim) and each is complete with their own ultrasound pic. We'll replace those when the boys get here. I must also thank Olivia in advance for her generous gift of a newborn picture session, and also for all of her advice, opinions and the temporary use of her nap nanny so now I have two. 

So, as you can see, this room has been a labor of love for the past seven months. As we near the end of the preparation portion of this ride, we now must transition to the adventure waiting for us in t-minus four weeks or less. Regardless of when Graham & Hayes decide to grace us with their presence, I think they have one hell of a room to call home. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought I recognised those maps!! That's awesome!! Hopefully I'll get to see them and the lads in February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to add pics above the crib and lots more all over the house!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?