Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Process

We have been home with our little men for only five days, and it has been quite overwhelming to say the least. However, thanks to the amazing help of the Shelby Baptist Nicu nurses, we were somewhat prepared on how to handle life with twins on "the outside." I dont have much time to post, as I have a mere 45 mins to our next feeding. Basically, we have created a process (much like our dear ole saint nick saban). This is how it goes for those curious as to how one functions with two preemie newborns: 

We feed the boys every three hours around the clock (nothing different than any other newborn). Each feeding last anywhere from one-two hours, depending on how they eat and if you have one or two people. (it's possible but quite frustrating and time consuming to attempt a feeding alone at this point). We wake the first baby, change them, and then I start feeding him. About ten minutes later, we wake the other one, and follow that same process, just ten minutes behind. When I get done feeding one, I hand it to whoever is helping and they bottle feed to supplement with formula (right now 30 ml). Then they check the first baby's diaper again, swaddle, and either put him back to bed, or let him chill in a swing, nap nanny, or the crib. Repeat with #2. 

Luckily, we have had some amazing help from our mom's who have stayed overnight with us so I can get more than an hour and a half of sleep at a time during the night. We went back to the hospital on Sunday to check the boy's weights and make sure they were gaining at home. They had both gained 7 oz which puts Graham at 5lbs 2oz and Hayes at 4lbs 15 oz.  We go to the Pediatrician in the morning, so he may throw the whole system for a loop, but for now it works, so im sticking to it. 

Ok, now for some pictures. 
The boys dont quite fit into the nap nannys, but they do love to chill in them after they eat. 

Fun with twins. 
Thing 1 & Thing 2

Right now, they sleep in the same crib, buffered on each side by rolls of swaddle blankets. The hospital's swaddle blankets are simply the best things ever. 

Everyone keeps asking me if they are identical. We have no idea. So far, they look pretty similar. We typically dont dress them alike or we wouldnt know which baby we are holding. Graham does have a stork bite/birth mark on his chest, so if push comes to shove, we can tell them apart from this. When they sleep, Hayes is always on the left and Graham on the right. This allows me to know who is who. My sister and I went through a whole feeding on day 2 thinking each had the other baby until the very end. That probably wont be the first time that happens. 

Ok, back to the boys. 

2 comments:

  1. hang in there momma! you're doing great. like anyone wouldn't be overwhelmed? I'm impressed, to say the least. if you're ever up during that 3-4 am hour, know that i'm probably awake too if you want company.
    love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeris, I can't wait to meet the babies and help you out. I caught a cold last week and now Sam has the sniffles so I am holding off visiting until after Christmas just to be safe. When Sam starts school back after New Years plan for me to come help for a morning. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?