Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Who are you voting for? Be specific.

It seems like this election mania will never end. 6 more days... I try to stay informed, but mostly I get annoyed. Lucky for me, Saturday Night Live has been on its game this season, and does not disappoint. This might be my fav commercial spoof thus far. Much like these characters, I feel as though age as disenchanted me to the politcal process. I also feel like South Park got it right a few years ago (episode 8 of season 8 if anyone cares) when they aired their election episode. The elementary school was forced by PETA to change the school's mascot from a cow, so the kids had to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. Realizing that neither was a likable mascot, they rebelled against voting altogether. By the end of the episode (after an appearance by P-diddy in a literal Vote or Die campaign) a PETA guy ended saying to them "Kids, every election is between a giant douche and a turd sandwich" I hate to say it, but I think South Park might have nailed it. Although the cow did get reinstated as the mascot in the end (even though the giant douche technically won...)

I LOVED politics as a kid. I even took notes during the Dole/Clinton debates in 96. True story. Another true story is that I met Bob Dole outside the his Majority Leader office in DC while on my family vacation. He invited us to finish the danishes in his office and apologized for not shaking our hand for he had a cold (and a maimed hand). I told him I was born in Kansas, and he gave me a grin. (He represented Kansas at the time) Ok, this is getting nerdier by the minute. In conclusion: age has taken away my fervor and love for the democratic process. Dont get me wrong, I will vote, and I will follow coverage of this election like a hawk all day next Tuesday. But gone are the days of my inspired political youth. Hopefully the boys will get into it. Family vacation to tour all the monuments and museums in DC? yes please!

I am Jeris Burns, and I approve this blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?