Thursday, June 14, 2012

Important piece of advice

DO NOT WATCH 
"WE BOUGHT A ZOO!"  

These instructions are especially important if you are hormonal, in an isolated place (like a plane), are without napkins or tissues, and for some reason dont like Matt Damon. All of those were true of me last week when I watched this flick. I was envisioning a heart warming tale of a goofy family who loved animals. This is not the case people. It is sad, emotional, and certainly not PG (with some above age 13 language, and frequent parent-children argument scenes that made me cringe). Not that I care about language, but if I had a child over the age of 5 and under 13, they would prob want to watch it, and it was just too mature. The main themes of the movie are: dealing with the death of a parent/wife, coaching a child through depression, and putting down large animals. Not. Ok. It is also the only movie where Scarlett Jo is just not a good actress. That was unfortunate, bc im a fan. Then, at the end of this roller coaster of emotion, you find out this is all a true story (although it was advertised as such, I just didnt know that) and the faucets start all over again. I have not been this disappointed in a movie since the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (More true to the book, but much less entertaining- mad props to Roald Dahl though)



Even this add is deceiving. They look so happy....



Consider yourself warned. 

2 comments:

  1. Sad! I loved it!!! But, I do think that I knew what I was getting into - (a) that it was dealing with post-parental/spouse death, (b) that it was a true story, etc. etc. Wasn't the little girl in the movie just about the cutest thing you've ever seen??? I loved it. But, that's just me. AND, I typically hate ScarJo but really liked her in this one (maybe it was b/c she was sans makeup and her sexpot look??). We can agree to disagree Jerry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My coworker was just telling me this same thing today- how she and her kids were all crying and how the language was bad! Disappointing!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?