Ive had alot of different thoughts today, so i thought i'd share.
First: I went to a luncheon today called Purse and Passion. It is the Bham YWCA's biggest fundraiser of the year. In that room at the Sheraton were 1,000 women, most of which were armed to write serious sized donation checks to the YW. It was a fantastic event. I sat next to David Pollick's wife, and several other BSC ladies (purley by coincidence). We talked alot about BSC, and the changes going on there. I am actually speaking back at the hilltop on saturday to some prospective students regarding how the college shaped where I am now. (I guesss i'll leave out that the liberal arts education left me completely clueless regarding future employement, resulting in a life hiatus to Ireland, before returning to jump into finance after studying history and women's studies for five years...) However, I feel like now, that i have figured out my place, it is beneficial on a daily basis with understanding different worldviews. But, i digress. Back to the luncheon. It really helped me put things in perspective when. They had two women whom have benefitted from the YWCA's services. Domestic voilence, homelessness, and nearly poverty stricken, these women were able to rise above and make lives for themselves today with the help of the YW. Wow, and I thought my life was tough sometimes. Its a cakewalk compared to these women's stories. Its theraputic and healthy to keep life in perspective on a daily basis.
Second: my momma had surgery today on her neck. Spinal fusion i think they called it. She broke her neck 30 year ago doing a back handspring (if im "blessed" enough to have girls, this is why they wont be cheerleaders, not bc im a feminist.) So, after years of wear and tear, she needed it done again bc the spine had compressed. They had put her off for weeks bc they thought she had a rare blood condition, but it turns out she was clear, so they did the surgery early this morning. Mom's doing great, and she will stay at St. Vincent's overnight. It will be about a 6 week plus recovery, so I just hope its not painful, bc she was in alot of pain before surgery.
Third: Work is so overwhelming, but in the best way possible. The influx of activitity and responsibility from D leaving has been intense but compelling at the same time. I have been going non stop for two weeks straight. I love working. I cant imagine my life without it. Especially now that its just me and Dave running the show. It's like we are the CEO's of our own little world. Plus, my control freak side really gets to spread its wings, sooooo great, and also a little theraputic.
Tiger Woods: lets shift gears. I cant stand him. I know its bc of this scandel, but the more i think about it, i really didnt care for the guy before this stuff broke. My Oxford ladies, do yall remember when we took the train to sandwich and watched the British Open? hard to forget actually. Well, seeing Tiger there, so focussed and steadfast, it was impressive, but also gave me a bad feeling. Ive just never liked the guy really. What ive realized though, it that those that did like him before, are the ones that are still liking him now. Jordan cant get enough. He's been giddy for a week about the Masters, and was like a kid in a candy store when woods teed off today. I dont get it. He's a power hungry, money obssessed douche bad that thought he was God. Sure, he's a great golfer, but i think he's a jerk. (welcome back feminist side....)
And for some light entertaingment, I bring you Kitten Mittons. Thanks Sunny crew (and Hulu).
my mom had that surgery last yea due to her degenerative discs... she said she was just really sore for a while afterwards, nothing unbearable. hope your momma feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteLove this post:) So full of your feistyness:) And yes Tiger is an absolute douche. Get well soon Becky xxxx Love from New Zealand!
ReplyDelete