Ok, so I know the "landing in the Hudson" was so 2009, but I was in a meeting last week and learned some very interesting facts about this situation. The person who informed me almost took a job as a Delta airlines pilot 30 years ago, but instead went into banking because of a airline worker strike that was going on around that time. However, he is very informed about airline "stuff" so he walked me through this video and talked about what was going on between the different controllers. First, the famed Cpt Sulley wasnt even flying the plane when the birds his the engines. They were on the last leg of a three day trip, and on their way to Arizona (hence the nickname "Cactus" for the plane.). On each leg the captain and the co-captain (a younger pilot) took turns flying the plane. When the birds hit the engine, the more experienced Sulley took over. The crisis that ensued was duel engine failure. Now, lets backtrack a bit. Twice a year, pilots have to spend a week in intense training, where computer nerds with sick senses of humor simulate hundreds of different scenarios for these guys to maneuver. Apparently, duel engine failure is one of the most highly simulated scenarios. Capt Sulley would have been through this exercise hundreds of times. Hence his calm and ease when landing the plane. I really do not get tired of watching this. Jordan has been getting mad at me all night because ive been more interested in watching this video over and over in amazement than our nightly ritual of pawn stars. Also, notice the calm of the air traffic controllers as they try to find an alternate landing locations for the plane. Even as the plane is in the water, they are still trying to find a local landing strip.
When I am having a highly stressful day, or life just isnt treating me with the curiosity I think i deserve, I reflect on this video and the patience of those involved. If they can deal with stress, I can too. Enjoy.
I've never seen this video before, that is awesome!
ReplyDeleteKnowing the outcome of course, it is kind of funny... when he says, can't do it, going in the Hudson and the other guy says, 'what'd he say?!' the calmness of their voices is amazing though.