Tuesday, May 3, 2011

April Fury

As all of you know, the outcome of these storms are simply devastating. Im constantly overwhelmed by not just the magnitude of the storm itself, but also the outpouring of generosity from quite literally, everyone. Friday, I called a client of mine who lived and coached football in Pleasant Grove for thirty years. He has since moved out of the community, but I wanted to touch base and make sure he was ok, mentally. Without much emotion, he told me many stories of friends and neighbors who are just gone. Despite his personal loss, he had already done so much to help. Knowing it would be an emotional journey, he spent 3 hours trying to get a generator to his buddy, and finally succeded. Amoungst the chaos of the situation, he was surprisingly calm. This must come from past hardship (much PG was devestated by an F5 in 98), but also an incredible belief that everything will eventually be ok. That with neighbor helping neighbor, we will survive. Quite harrowing.

Admist the fury, I got a call on Friday that was a first for me in my profession. A client's husband had passed. My first thought went to the tornado, but he actually died of natural causes, although he was relatively young. Still, that feeling of pain that I was feeling for Alabama's victims became intensified and suddenly quite personal. Im close enough with this client to know that he was her everything. No children, just each other (and one bad ass german shepard). So, receiving that call was quite difficult. Sunday rolled around and I headed to the wake. Although I know this family on a business level, suddently, everthing became personal. The hug from her made me cry immediately. She led me to his casket and remained completely steadfast and unemotional as I was losing it. I asked her how she was holding up so well, considering. She said she fully believed he had been telling her it was time in his own ways for the past three weeks, so she was prepared. Wow. I selfishly wanted to bottle her strength and save it for later.

I composed myself and listened as his best friend gave his eulogy. It was quite simply the most beautiful and heartfelt thing I have ever heard. He was a biker and a painter, and his friend so eloquently described his spirit and his personality. I felt like I knew him more than I really had by the end. I can only hope someone would do something so brave for me one day.

I can say for certain that this has been one of the most challenging weeks for our state and community on record. But, hopefully we can find a fraction of my client's bravery and continue to soldier on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?