Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Laissez les bons temps rouler

A pic of the house as were leaving for Mobile. I seriously didnt check the weather all week, thinking since I was going south, i wouldnt have any snow issues to worry about. I realized Thursday, when i finally decided to check the weather, that I was oh so wrong on that assumption. The snow only got worse as we headed down I-65.


About 2-3 inches of snow later, we reach a rest area outside of Montgomery.



Yes, thats a "family vacation" type luggage packer on top of their car. We had so much food and drinks, all the suitcases had to go somewhere.

When we arrived in Mobile, we were greeted with open arms by Erin's sister's, their husbands and their five children (all under the age of 7) They had reserved all the rooms on the 5th floor of the downtown Holiday Inn Express, and so when the elevator doors opened we were welcomed to a scene of kids running around like crazy, food and drinks outside almost every door, and a full fledged kareoke party going on. It was crazy. We quickly dropped off our bags, dressed in like 10 layers, grabbed a beer and headed out to the Crew of Columbus parade. It was VERY cold, so catching beads without gloves on would have been painful. Luckily we were prepared in that sense. The rest of the night included more kareoke, rum, late night pizza and king cake.


We woke up to a very sunny (warmer) Saturday for the Kids parade. I thought it was a neat view that all the trees along the route were already covered in beads. We then headed off to a local favorite seafood place, Wintzells.


Ive actually had several clients talk to me about this place. They were right, it was yummy. A pound of oysters, fried fish and a few hurricanes later, we were quite full.

Artie and his favorite waiter.


Nothing like a few hurricanes at lunchtime. I was really loving mardi gras at this point.

The rest of the day was spent walking around, drinking and checking out some of the sights and sounds of Mobile. I really cant remember ever visiting Mobile except for a short time during my childhood to see the USS Alabama during a girl scouts trip. Erin and Artie were great tourguides, and everything was going splendid until Jordan stepped in dog shit.

Erin has the picture we took in the park while Jordan was (unknowlingly) standing in the poo. He quickly caught on when his left heel was two inches higher than the right. We laughed all the way down the street bc he would not get it all off. Finally we arrived at our destination, The Battle House Hotel. Apparently, this is one of the more expensive and historic hotel to stay in while visiting the city. Erin's grandfather use to manage the hotel, so it was a stop on our tour. Once we were sure the excremint was off his shoes, we went into the bar and settled in to get warm and observe the elegance of the hotel. It really is a gorgeous place. I made a quick trip to the lovely marble ladies room, only to quickly discover that somehow I also had dog mess on me, but not only on my shoes, but all over the back of my jeans. How did that happen? As i'm recovering from the shock of this, I realized that while sitting in the hotel lounge, I sat with one of my legs under my thigh to get comfy. (There is a reason moms tell you not to put your shoes on furniture.)

So, I come back to the group and tell them that we prob need to finish out drinks and head out. Confussed, since we hadnt been there very long, I pointed to what I knew was located on the nice, fluffy, expensive lounge chair: more dog poo.

We laughed all the way back to the hotel. They decided we cant be taken to nice places. Unfortunately for them, we still had a ball to attend...


Later that night, we went to the Mystics of Time parade. Both of Erin's brother in laws were riding, and her 6 year old nephew was riding on the Queen's float. These floats were very very cool. I couldnt believe the detail that was involved. This is also the best pick of could take of the moving paper mache. After the parade, the guys got dressed quickly and then went out on the town.



We took our time and got ready for the ball in the hotel.


Note the decorations on the window...Erin was so prepared.



We got back together and went to the BALL! I dont have pictures from this event, but i'm hoping Erin will send me hers to post. The most amazing part was the entrance of the Queen of the MOT Ball and the King and Queen of Mardi Gras. Such (unecessary) decadence, it was unbelievable.

The next morning we made out way to Erin's parent's house for some gumbo and much needed non-alcoholic beverages before the trip home. By sunday night we were sleep deprived and in dire need of a detox session, but man was it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?