Monday, January 12, 2009

Back to Basics

I am finally feeling better after almost ten days of just being sick, and i'm never sick. It's so frustrating to be out of commission for that long, especially when you want to start a new year fresh and enthusiastic. But, i'm finally almost back to normal, so ive decided my new year started today. Luckily, with this new year comes a renewed sense of motivation. I feel rejuviated and it is a blessing because for alot of last year I was missing that feeling.

I read an article today in a magazine that I get in my mailbox at work probobly once a month, and have honestly never given the time of day until now. (sidenote: i said i wasnt going to talk alot about work, and here i am mentioning my work mailbox on day 2, but hear me out this story just starts there, but finishes elsewhere). So, the article was about keeping focussed on your goals, and keeping your values in the front of your mind. It's all a bit philisophical, and not something new to me, but for some reason today it struck a chord. Last year i was so focussed on the task at hand, and the consequences of the failure or success of that task that i lost track of the big picture. What i needed was a constant reminder of what is important to me because it is so easy to forget during the hussle of the day to day.

So, i'm challenging myself this year not to lose focus on the big picture; to be more cognitant of the present and what i'm working towards. I'm honestly going so far as to writing down my goals and values, and keeping them at my desk. It might be a goal in my work life or my home life, but i wont feel satisfied in either if i dont stay focussed and reminded of what I want to happen. Plus, and most importantly, I'm only going to focus on the things I can control. Everything else is just not for me to worry about. Why didnt i allow myself to come to this conclusion last year, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?