The next day was adventure day, and while Olan was surfing, Gillian and I went exploring. First up, a walk along the mountainous coast. The weather in west cork is slightly warmer than the rest of the country, so the 65 or so degrees was a nice break from the coastal winds that Hurricane Bill brought andrew and I the week before in the north. The views were incredible, and we even walked down to the beach and watched Olan surfing for a bit. (I am still amazing that people surf in such cold waters, but apparently with a wet suit, its not that bad. I'm calling BS on that one, it has to be freezing).
So, we walked around and just found a man working on a scaffold. When we inquired as to the whereabouts of the castle, he replied, its right here, and pointed to a stone building attached to the house. We both kind of looked at each other like...ok. However, it was quite an interesting story. I'll let the internet tell it, but basically his family bought it for 500 pounds a few hundred years ago, and he decided to sell off his cattle and spend the money redoing the castle as it would have looked in the 1500's. Quite impressive. He plans on using it as a B&B of sorts. He expects people will find it to be a novelty to stay in a castle. For me, id rather be in a hotel. There is something about a 16th century drafty and damp building that doesnt quite shout comfort to me. But to each their own. Afterwards he asked how an American and Irish girl came to know each other. I told him we were to Trinity and did Women's Studies. He stopped me right there and said"oh, i get it, i understand" and kindly bid us farewell. Gillian started laughing when we got to the car. She said he most likely thought we were lesbians...haha i started dying down laughing. What was even more funny was that moments before this conversation occurred, the local Priest had just arrived to call on this man's ailing father. So, he was probably wanting to get rid of the lesbian tourist before the Priest found out...hahaha, i couldnt get over that.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thoughts?