Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Save the TA TA's



The Susan B. Komen race for the cure was last weekend at Lynn park on a very blistery saturday morning. I joined my sister, Taylor and her friends from high school and college, along with my friend Jenny, to raise money and take part in this fantastic event. For anyone who hasnt seen the North side of birmingham on this day, it is quite a site. Not only is the fountain in Lynn park dyed pink, but you are joined by 14,000 other people to run/walk in honor of friends and family members who have been affected by breast cancer. Their fundraising goal this year, $1.4 million. So far this event has raised $1.2, so almost there. Our team name was "Taylor's Ta Ta Savers" and in true breast cancer awareness fashion, we all grabbed a handful for the picture.

This was 5k number three for me this summer, and I really cant believe it. They say running becomes addicting and "they" are right. It took a few months to catch on, but im almost to the point of crazy runner person. I have been conned by some friends to run a half marathon on Dec. 5th, so after that, I might be considered for a label.  So now i'll be spending alot more time on the streets of bham running and running and running.  Please feel free to join for all or part of my runs. I might even post my schedule on here.

In honor of this new challenge, i decided to go for a crazy 5 mile run this evening. Luckily I had two motivators to help. One of my best friends, Rebecca Barnes was in town, and another running buddy of mine, John (who is running a marathon this weekend). If anyone wants a great group to run with, join us at the homewood trak shak every wednesday at 5:30. They have 3, 5 and 8 mile runs. After 52 minutes of running (almost a 10 min mile average), we finished up and helped ourselves to the free keg they put out every wed for the runners. I cant say I feel great now, as im writing this, but since i havent ran 5 miles since cross country freshman year of high school, so i assumed i was going to ache. Tomorrow, i might not be able to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?