Monday, October 19, 2009

Sizing up the Situation

As promised, the results of today's weigh in...(drum roll please)...... New weight: a GAIN of 2.5 lbs. WTF?!

I gave myself 10 good seconds to sulk, then I needed answers. Luckily one of the trainers at greystone is like Jillian from The Biggest Loser, and gave me some great insight. First, she reminds me (I should know this considering I was once an athlete) increased running builds muscle mass. I went from maybe 3-5 miles a week to 15-20. I think my leg muscles might want to break down and build back up, for their sake. Second  three weeks was a bit of an unrealistic goal to measure initial weigh loss, especially if I am increasing mileage. Third, increased burning of calories obviously increases the need to intake calories. It takes the body several week to adjust to the rapid fire burning of calories in this way. However, even though I might burn 600 cals during a run, doesnt mean i deserve milo's for dinner (that might have happened this weekend...)

Then came the best part. To help me understand this phenomenon even better, she used a historical reference (that always works with me). She said, bodies arnt aware of the generation or the decade. For all my body knows its 1848, and the increased exercise means i'm crossing the country by foot and wagon, hence the need to store fat for the upcoming winter. (light bulb going off) So, for the first few weeks after increased calorie loss, your body will adjust the only way it knows, by storing fat somewhere. It will continue to do this if i continue to hunt deer and antelope, and then devour them....I mean, if I continue to eat buffet style meals after running. So, the good eating habits must continue during the half marathon training.

For those that miss playing the Oregon Trail as much as I do, click here. your welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?